Welcome,
Keeping in shape was never something I had to think about. In grade school, I played every sport. In high school, I played club soccer and then ran the hurdles and pole vaulted for the track team. I worked out daily, I ate whatever I wanted, and I was wonderfully free from guilt about fitness.
Then came college, which gave me lots of places to walk to, intramural sports, and gym membership included with my tuition. But as college continued to pass, it got harder to stay in shape, at least in the way I was used to. I still play soccer a few times a week, and I lift weights, but I hate to run and my feet are so flat I probably shouldn't anyway. But what really bothered me was that I began to think of working out as something I had to do rather than something I enjoyed doing.
So I started to think not only what does it mean to be in shape, but is there a way to achieve fitness with having it feel like a chore. Is there a way to live your life that promotes fitness without having to schedule trips to the gym like dentist appointments. Hence this blog.
Firstly, it's intended to be a workout and fitness resource; an experiment if you will to change not only the way I see fitness, but perhaps help others embrace the ideology.
Secondly, I coach high school track and want to not only give my athletes ideas about off season training, but to encourage them to think of being in shape as something that is attainable and enjoyable as they too go off to college and then beyond.
Please feel free to post comments or questions. I do not take credit for the information here. Most of it I have encountered in passing through research or it was taught to me by the number of wonderful and dedicated coaches I have had in my life. But perhaps I'm contributing to the fitness karma of the world by passing it on.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment